Phoenix Academy 2018-2019 Assignments and Classwork
Welcome! This is where you will find most of your assignments for World History throughout the year..
For parents and students- here is the link for JupiterGrades, my online grade book. Please email me if you do not have a password or any other questions....
Journal Topic- How might your life be different if you were born in a different part of the world, such as a desert in Africa or near the Swiss alps? What factors help determine who you are?
Link to video for Oct 24:
The Scourge Of the Back Death
Assignment #12- Part 1- the Renaissance 1300-1600
Read the following PDF and answer all the questions.
Part 1- The Renaissance 1300-1600
Assignment #11- Spread of Islam
Read the chapter, The Rise of Islam and answer the questions below. You can work with a partner if you want-just make sure both names are on the Google Doc you share with me.
The Spread of Islam
- What event in the life of Muhammad signaled the beginning of Islam?
- Why was Mecca an important city in western Arabia?
- What are the Five Pillars of Islam?
- Why did Muslims consider Christians and Jews “people of the book”?
- In what ways are the teachings of the Muslims similar to those of Christians and Jews?
Assignment #10-European Middle Ages DBQ's
Read the following PDF and answer all of the questions for part A and write the paragraph for part B on the last page.
European Middle Ages DBQ
Assignment #9-Middle Ages Vocabulary
Vocabulary, Middles Ages 300-1500
Please define each term in your own words. Try this link and click on “glossary” or use Google to find the definitions.
- Bubonic plague
- trade network
- Justinian Code
- Five Pillars of Islam
Assignment #8-World Religion Research Presentations
World Religions Research Presentations
Working in groups of 3, you will need to research basic facts about 9 different world religions.
First, we will start with a journal topic- What is a religion? What are the basic elements?
Next, here are the 8 religions:
Each group will be randomly assigned a religion to research. You will need to put together slides that cover the following:
Slide 1- name of religion, how many followers, year it began.
Slide 2- How did it begin? Does it have one god or multiple gods?
Slide 3- What are the basic beliefs, rituals, and practices?
Slide 4- Where is it practiced, what objects are sacred? (You can spread this over a couple of slides and add pictures)
Slide 5- Who are the key figures or people? (Add pictures)
Slide 6- Key holidays or celebrations
Slide 7- Major values or rules for living
Wikipedia is a good place to start-on the right side of the web page, there is a box that has links to things like basic practices, sacred texts, etc… You may need to do additional research.
Assign each member in your group to work on a few different slides. Create a slide presentation in Google slides and share it with each member. Choose a style research, collect pictures and work together to create your presentation.
Assignment #7-The Rise of Christianity
Read the following PDF and answer the following questions:
- What did Jesus emphasize in his early teachings?
- Why did the early Christians face persecution from the Romans?
- What was the importance of the Nicene Creed?
- Do you think Christianity would have developed in the same way if it had arisen in an area outside the Roman Empire? Explain.
- Why do you think Roman leaders so opposed the rise of a new religion among their subjects?
Assignment #6- Infographic on Ancient Rome
Daily life in Ancient Rome
Your assignment is to create an infographic about 5 different elements of daily life in Ancient Rome. Infographics have both information and graphics or icons to help us understand what life was like. Here are some sample topics and a website which can help you with information.
What did they eat?
What clothes did they wear?
What jobs did they do?
How was life different between rich and poor?
What did they do in their spare time?
Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present complex information quickly and clearly. They can improve understanding by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system’s ability to see patterns and trends.
We are going to try a website https://www.canva.comto create your inforgraphic. You can create an account with your Google Docs sign in and they have templates designed for education. You can change images, graphics, text, colors and more for each of the designs.
Follow-up to Roman Mythology
Read the following PDF in partners and share which type of myth it is- Foundation of a city/country, political or moral.
Ancient Rome Myths
Assignment #5- The Roman Empire
Start by watching this documentary, Engineering an Empire:Rome Part 1
Next, download and read the following PDF and answer the questions below.
The Roman Empire Chapt 1
Questions for The Roman Republic Chapt 1
- What do you consider to be the key characteristic of the early Roman Republic? Why?
- What limits were there on the power of the Roman consuls?
- What was the significance of the Twelve Tables?
- How was Hannibal’s attack on Rome daring and different?
- Do you think the Roman Republic owed its success more to its form of government or its army? Why?
- How did Rome expand its territory and maintain control over it?
Assignment #4-Roman Life DBQ
Download the following PDF and answer all of the questions after each document.
Roman Life DBQ
Assignment #3 Case Study: Ur in Sumer- due by the end of class!
Working with a partner, (only 1-2 people, no larger groups) read the following PDF and answer the questions below.
Case Study: Ur in Sumer
Questions for Ur in Sumer
- Which characteristic is the most important for development of a civilization? Why?
- How did the social structure of village life change as the economy became more complex?
- What role did irrigation systems play in the development of civilizations?
- Define key traits of a civilization. ( Look at the chart on page 21)
- Why was writing a key invention for the Sumerians?
- In what ways does the ziggurat of Ur reveal that Sumerians had developed an advanced civilization?
Assignment #2 Create an "About Me" doc so I can get to know you better
Fill in the following and add a current picture that clearly shows your face.
Grade in school
Favorite book or movie,
Favorite place to visit
Plans after high school
Assignment #1- Vocabulary 1200-500 BCE
Assignment #1 Due Wednesday, August 20
Using the Glossary tab on the “World History for us all”website, to help define each term. Please put your definitions in your own words- copy and pasted definitions will not be helpful if you don’t know what they mean..
- belief system
- cultural interchange
- collective learning
- pastoral nomadism
- population density
- caste system