Phoenix Academy 2018-2019 Assignments and Classwork
Welcome! This is where you will find most of your assignments for World History throughout the year..
For parents and students- here is the link for JupiterGrades, my online grade book. Please email me if you do not have a password or any other questions....
Update April 3
I believe all of you have been added to my Google Classroom, so please contact me if you are having any issues. We will be starting with new assignments on April 13, but in the meantime, please check Jupiter Grades and turn in any missing assignments. Grades are still due April 8, so you need to turn in any missing assignment by April 7 so I can give you credit.
Update March 30
Since the district needs to have an online platform for distance learning, we will be trying out Google Classroom. You need to join your section using your WUSD student email. Open the Google Classroom app from your Google apps and click the "Join class" button and enter the code. Below is the code for each section:
Parents/Guardians- you can use the same code and join as well!
Phoenix World History 5B
Phoenix World History 6B
I know this might be a difficult time to transition to a new platform, but we have the time to try and implement it. Email me if you have any issues. I have not posted a new assignment yet, so work on any missing assignments from before.
Update March 26-As you know, we will not return to school until at least May 1. Now is an great time to get caught up on any missing work-please check Jupiter Grades to see what you are missing. If you are in danger of failing, this is a chance to get caught up, so please take it.
This is an unprecedented time in our history and the situation is changing rapidly, so be kind and supportive of one another.
Assignment #30- Industrialization Spreads
Read the following PDF and answer the questions below.
- Which development had the most impact in the United States? in continental Europe?
- What early industries mechanized in the United States?
- Why did Belgium lead Europe in adopting industrialization?
- How did the Industrial Revolution shift the world balance of power?
- Go back to the quote from Lucy Larcom on page 730. Do you think her feelings about working in the mill are typical? Why or why not?
- Why was Britain unable to keep industrial secrets away from other nations?
- What was the most significant effect of the Industrial Revolution?
Assignment #29- Skills and Qualities for Success
Follow the instructions on each page to hopefully guide your career choices.
Skills and Qualities for Success
Assignment #28-The Beginnings of Industrialization
If you don't have a hard copy, you can download the PDF here:
The Beginnings of Industrialization
And then answer these questions:
1. What were four factors that contributed to industrialization in Britain?
2. How did rising population help the Industrial Revolution?
3. What American invention aided the British textile industry?
4. Was the revolution in agriculture necessary to the Industrial Revolution? Explain.
5. What effect did entrepreneurs have upon the Industrial Revolution?
6. Do you agree or disagree with the statement that the steam engine was the greatest invention of the Industrial Revolution? Why?
Assignment #27-The King and the Revolution
Here is the PDF. Answer the questions (except for #8) in the "Task" box on the and back page.
The King and the Revolution
Assignment #26-The French Revolution Begins (6B only)
Here is the PDF. Answer the questions in each "Task" box on the front and back pages.
Assignment #25-6B only French Revolution Vocabulary Terms
Define the following terms:
French Revolution Vocabulary Terms-some are French terms, so they might look a little different.
- ancien regime
- coup d'etat
- Estates General
- Louis XVI
- Marie Antoinette
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Assignment #24-The French Revolution Reform and Terror
The French Revolution- Reform and Terror
Download the PDF,
Reform and Terror
and answer the following questions:
1. What major reforms did the National Assembly introduce? (10.2.4)
2. What did the divisions in the Legislative Assembly say about the differences in French society? (10.2.4)
3. In what ways was the guillotine an efficient means of execution?
- How did the Reign of Terror come to an end? (10.2.4)
- How did the slogan “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity” sum up the goals of the Revolution? (10.2.2
- What factors led to Robespierre becoming a dictator? (10.2.4)
Assignment #23- The French Revolution Chapter 1
Red the following PDF:
The French Revolution Chapter 1
And answer the following Questions:
- Why were members of the Third Estate dissatisfied with life under the Old Regime? (10.2.1)
- How did Louis XVI’s weak leadership contribute to the growing crisis in France? (10.2.1)
- How did the purpose of the meeting of the Estates-General in 1789 change? (10.2.1)
- FORMING AND SUPPORTING OPINIONS Were changes in the French government inevitable? Explain. (10.2.1)
- ANALYZING MOTIVES Why do you think some members of the First and Second Estates joined the National Assembly and worked to reform the government? (10.2.1)
- COMPARING AND CONTRASTING How were the storming of the Bastille and the women’s march on Versailles similar? How were they different? (10.2.1)
Assignment #22-Enlightenment Thinkers- whose ideas had the most impact?
Working with a partner, your task is to research an enlightenment thinker and make a case that your thinker had the biggest influence on society. Groups will pick a number and then research their thinker. First, click on your thinker below and read the PDF for basic background information.
2. Queen Elizabeth
3. Thomas Hobbes
4. John Locke
5. King Louis XIV
6. Baron de Montesquieu
9. Mary Wollstonecraft
Part 1- Research. Each group must read the section about their Enlightenment Thinker and then answer all of “Stop Here and Discuss Questions” in your section.
Part 2-Use other online sources to prepare the following slides to present to the class.
Slide 1- basic info- name, years lived, childhood, education, financial status, nationality, etc…
Slide 2-What events had the biggest influence on your thinker? What did they experience that contributed to their outlook?
Slide 3- what ideas or philosophies are they most known for?
Slide 4-did they have a lasting impact? Do people still believe in their ideas?
Slide 5- Why does your group think your enlightenment thinker had the biggest impact on society? What evidence do you have?
Assignment #21- Ideas to help end homelessness in Sonoma County
Ideas to help end homelessness in Sonoma County
Working in groups of 2-3, research the problem of homelessness and brainstorm possible solutions. Start with some date- here is an infographic with various data points about the homeless in Sonoma County.
Clearing away the homeless (July, 2019)
Santa Rosa’s plan
Ways to help the homeless
Attitudes toward the homeless
Think about the following:
What are the main reasons people are homeless?
What is the average age, gender and race?
Have the numbers changed over the years or stayed about the same?
What are the health issues reported by the homeless?
Do the homeless get any support from social services?
What are the problems homelessness causes for Sonoma County?
What solutions did your team brainstorm? (Don’t worry about cost or practicality at this point, just think of solutions)
Which ones seem realistic to implement?
Assignment #20- The Enlightenment in Europe
Read the following chapter PDF and answer the questions below.
The Enlightenment in Europe
- What are the natural rights with which people are born, according to John Locke?
- Who were the philosophes and what did they advocate?
- What was the legacy of the Enlightenment?
- Explain how the following statement reflects Enlightenment ideas: “Power should be a check to power.”
- Why might some women have been critical of the Enlightenment?
- Do you think the philosophes were optimistic about the future of humankind? Explain.
Assignment #19- Current Events- find a new scientific discovery
Your task is to find an article that introduces or proves a new scientific idea or theory. Please include a link to the article and answer these two questions in about a paragraph each. Start with a search of "new scientific discoveries 2019" and choose on the write about.
1. What is the new discovery or idea?
2. How will it change our society?
Assignment #18- The Scientific Revolution
Start by reading the Chapter “The Scientific Revolution” located here:
The Scientific Revolution
then answer the following questions
1. Before the 1500s, who and what were the final authorities with regard to most knowledge?
2. How did the heliocentric theory of the universe differ from the geocentric theory?
3. What are the main steps of the scientific method?
4. “If I have seen farther than others,” said Newton, “it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.” Could this be said of most scientific accomplishments? Explain.
5. Why might institutions of authority tend to reject new ideas? Give a modern example of a modern idea that might challenge an institution of authority.
6. In what two ways does Galileo seek to appease the Church?
7. What beliefs do you have that might be more superstition than science? Why do you think this way?
Assignment #17- Review Questions for your Final Exam
Your Final will be Tuesday, December 19 (5B and 6B)
Working with a partner, create a google slide that answers the questions assigned to you and share with the class.
Your final for history will be short-answer essay questions. Out of these 15 possible questions about World History, I will choose 5 for you to answer, each worth 20 points. You may use 1 3 inch x 5 inch note card. You will want to provide as much detail to demonstrate your understanding of the question, so please study and ask me or other students if you are unsure of any other the answers. Here are the review questions:
1. Between 1000 BCE and 1 CE world population rose from about 120 million to 250 million. Many factors contributed to this accelerating growth. Explain how 2-3 of these factors would have contributed to population growth
2. What geographical factors might have made some regions more favorable than others for the development of states and civilizations?
3. How did the discovery of iron and other metals change the way man farmed? How did it change society?
4. How did written language grow and spread? Give specific examples.
5. As early civilizations grew, what effect did they have on the environment? Give specific examples.
6. Name 3 specific things the Romans did to expand their Empire into one of the largest of the time.
7. What was the feudal system? Was it fair? Explain.
8. What was life generally like for a peasant or farmer in the middle ages? (600-1200)
9. Why would the Church and religious life have had such great appeal during the Middle Ages?
10. Explain how the Black Death affected society.(social, economic conditions)
11. Identify 2-3 reasons why the Renaissance was different than the middle ages.
12. Name three ways the printing press forever changed the world.
13. Why were spices so expensive and important to people?
14. Why did civilizations in Central and Southern America get wiped out by the European explorers from 1400-1600?
15. What were the main reasons for the Atlantic Slave Trade? How did it change the world?
Assignment #16- Spice it up reading
Read the following PDF and answer all of the questions at the end.
Spice it up
Assignment #15-Explorers Part 1
Read the following PDF and answer all the questions after each document.
Assignment #14- CSI Florence- In class reading and activity- see me for a copy is needed.
Journal Topic- How might your life be different if you were born in a different part of the world, such as a desert in Africa or near the Swiss alps? What factors help determine who you are?
Assignment #13-Link to video for Dec 3- Questions for Guns, Germs and Steel Episode 2
Link to the questions for the video:
Guns, Germs and Steel Episode 2
Assignment #12- Part 1- the Renaissance 1300-1600
Read the following PDF and answer all the questions for documents A, B, C, D and E.
Part 1- The Renaissance 1300-1600
Assignment #11- Spread of Islam
Read the chapter, The Rise of Islam and answer the questions below. You can work with a partner if you want-just make sure both names are on the Google Doc you share with me.
The Spread of Islam
- What event in the life of Muhammad signaled the beginning of Islam?
- Why was Mecca an important city in western Arabia?
- What are the Five Pillars of Islam?
- Why did Muslims consider Christians and Jews “people of the book”?
- In what ways are the teachings of the Muslims similar to those of Christians and Jews?
Assignment #10-European Middle Ages DBQ's
Read the following PDF and answer all of the questions for part A and write the paragraph for part B on the last page.
European Middle Ages DBQ
Assignment #9-Middle Ages Vocabulary
Vocabulary, Middles Ages 300-1500
Please define each term in your own words. Try this link and click on “glossary” or use Google to find the definitions.
- Bubonic plague
- trade network
- Justinian Code
- Five Pillars of Islam
Assignment #8-World Religion Research Presentations
World Religions Research Presentations
Working in groups of 3, you will need to research basic facts about 9 different world religions.
First, we will start with a journal topic- What is a religion? What are the basic elements?
Next, here are the 8 religions:
Each group will be randomly assigned a religion to research. You will need to put together slides that cover the following:
Slide 1- name of religion, how many followers, year it began.
Slide 2- How did it begin? Does it have one god or multiple gods?
Slide 3- What are the basic beliefs, rituals, and practices?
Slide 4- Where is it practiced, what objects are sacred? (You can spread this over a couple of slides and add pictures)
Slide 5- Who are the key figures or people? (Add pictures)
Slide 6- Key holidays or celebrations
Slide 7- Major values or rules for living
Wikipedia is a good place to start-on the right side of the web page, there is a box that has links to things like basic practices, sacred texts, etc… You may need to do additional research.
Assign each member in your group to work on a few different slides. Create a slide presentation in Google slides and share it with each member. Choose a style research, collect pictures and work together to create your presentation.
Assignment #7-The Rise of Christianity
Read the following PDF and answer the following questions:
- What did Jesus emphasize in his early teachings?
- Why did the early Christians face persecution from the Romans?
- What was the importance of the Nicene Creed?
- Do you think Christianity would have developed in the same way if it had arisen in an area outside the Roman Empire? Explain.
- Why do you think Roman leaders so opposed the rise of a new religion among their subjects?
Assignment #6- Infographic on Ancient Rome
Daily life in Ancient Rome
Your assignment is to create an infographic about 5 different elements of daily life in Ancient Rome. Infographics have both information and graphics or icons to help us understand what life was like. Here are some sample topics and a website which can help you with information.
What did they eat?
What clothes did they wear?
What jobs did they do?
How was life different between rich and poor?
What did they do in their spare time?
Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present complex information quickly and clearly. They can improve understanding by utilizing graphics to enhance the human visual system’s ability to see patterns and trends.
We are going to try a website https://www.canva.comto create your inforgraphic. You can create an account with your Google Docs sign in and they have templates designed for education. You can change images, graphics, text, colors and more for each of the designs.
Follow-up to Roman Mythology
Read the following PDF in partners and share which type of myth it is- Foundation of a city/country, political or moral.
Ancient Rome Myths
Assignment #5- The Roman Empire
Start by watching this documentary, Engineering an Empire:Rome Part 1
Next, download and read the following PDF and answer the questions below.
The Roman Empire Chapt 1
Questions for The Roman Republic Chapt 1
- What do you consider to be the key characteristic of the early Roman Republic? Why?
- What limits were there on the power of the Roman consuls?
- What was the significance of the Twelve Tables?
- How was Hannibal’s attack on Rome daring and different?
- Do you think the Roman Republic owed its success more to its form of government or its army? Why?
- How did Rome expand its territory and maintain control over it?
Assignment #4-Roman Life DBQ
Download the following PDF and answer all of the questions after each document.
Roman Life DBQ
Assignment #3 Case Study: Ur in Sumer- due by the end of class!
Working with a partner, (only 1-2 people, no larger groups) read the following PDF and answer the questions below.
Case Study: Ur in Sumer
Questions for Ur in Sumer
- Which characteristic is the most important for development of a civilization? Why?
- How did the social structure of village life change as the economy became more complex?
- What role did irrigation systems play in the development of civilizations?
- Define key traits of a civilization. ( Look at the chart on page 21)
- Why was writing a key invention for the Sumerians?
- In what ways does the ziggurat of Ur reveal that Sumerians had developed an advanced civilization?
Assignment #2 Create an "About Me" doc so I can get to know you better
Fill in the following and add a current picture that clearly shows your face.
Grade in school
Favorite book or movie,
Favorite place to visit
Plans after high school
Assignment #1- Vocabulary 1200-500 BCE
Assignment #1 Due Wednesday, August 20
Using the Glossary tab on the “World History for us all”website, to help define each term. Please put your definitions in your own words- copy and pasted definitions will not be helpful if you don’t know what they mean..
- belief system
- cultural interchange
- collective learning
- pastoral nomadism
- population density
- caste system